Learning is a never ending process. Everyday I discover new things that I did not know about myself. Of late I have discovered that simple quotes are very motivating to me. Quotes are usually short sentences, but the power they wield is sometimes enormous. They can convey compelling messages in just a few words. One tiny sentence can turn non-believers into believers, sad people into happy people or people like me who used to keep putting things off into people who get things done, when they have to be done. A single quote can change lives. Here are 10 quotes that I find to be very motivating.
Simple quotes that get me all fired up and ready for action.
- “People are where they are because that is exactly where they really want to be” – E. Nightingale. I say no to this one. I refuse to be where I am because that is not where I want to be. So I have got to move on until I reach my destination. No time to waste.
- “You are the average of five people you spend the most time with” – Jim Rohn. This simple quote reminded me of the fact that my surroundings or the people around me have a big influence on where I am heading. Since I hadn’t been going anywhere for years, this had to change. Making sure that I connected with the right people meant that I was in the right position to use the opportunities that came my way. Have you noticed how opportunities always follow successful and proactive people? Create good connections with such people and you will be on your way to better things. If you surround yourself with people who are always pulling you back, don’t expect to achieve any goals that you set. With the right people in your corner, nothing can stop you. And here is a book that can teach you “How to Win Friends and Influence People“.
- “Nobody trips over mountains. It is the small pebble that causes you to stumble. Pass all the pebbles in your path and you will find you have crossed the mountain.” – Unknown author. This one reminds me that planning is a fundamental requirement. For me the minute details of how to reach a goal are the pebbles. These small obstacles must be recognised and tackled using a good plan. Without a plan you have no direction. Now how do you get where you want to be if you don’t know the direction? Trial and error is not the answer. “Getting Things Done” is an awesome book that helped me to find ways of getting the small pebbles out of the way.
- “You don’t learn to walk by following rules. You learn by doing, and by falling over.” – Richard Branson. This blog is an example of how I applied this quote. I didn’t wait until I knew everything about configuring my content management system. Nor did I wait until I had learnt to write like a pro or until I knew everything about promoting a blog. I learn as I go. So far so good.
- Aristotle – “It is well to be up before daybreak, for such habits contribute to health, wealth, and wisdom.” This one made me realise how I was using my time inefficiently. It made me realise that becoming an early riser has a lot of advantages. There are those who say they are owls. They enjoy working at night. I used to do the same thing until I realised that most of the times I was just too tired to be productive at night. I became an early riser. Now I get more stuff done and I don’t feel as tired as I used to. To learn more about habits, check out the book “The Power of Habit“
- Unknown author – “The man who chases two rabbits catches none.” If you read my bio info in my Twitter profile you will understand how this simple quote has helped me to be more productive. I used to be a learning addict. As a young boy I devoured books like some children ate sweets. The topic was not important. I just loved learning. This was OK then. In adult life it’s not that OK any more. Developing in a lot of directions spreads your energy in all directions and you become less efficient. This quote reminds me to work on one thing and reach a goal instead of working on many things and finishing none of them. Check out the book “The Power of Concentration” to learn more about the importance of concentrating to achieve business and personal goals. Which reminds me of the defination of FOCUS (Follow One Course Until Successful) according to Robert T. Kiyosaki, the author of the popular book Rich Dad Poor Dad.
- Peter Drucker – “The best way to predict your future is to create it”. On reading this quote I decided to take my fate into my own hands. I said to myself, “Enough is enough.” It’s time for me to do something about my life; determine my own future and not wait for someone to tell me what I have to do tomorrow.
- If you combine quote number 4 with what Farrah Gray said, “Build your own dreams, or someone will hire you to build theirs” then you will know what l am getting at. I just had to start building my own dreams without waiting for someone to choose me as James Altucher explains in his book “Choose Yourself“.
- Many people enjoy staying right at the centre of their comfort zones. I used to be the same. I used to linger close to the border of my comfort zone, but was too timid to make a move. Reading this quote by Dr Wayne W Dyer – “If you believe it will work, you will see opportunities. If you believe it won’t you will see obstacles” and on close inspection of the direction in which I was going I knew I had to change something and I did.
- Let me close this list of quotes with Tony Robinns’ words – “No matter how many mistakes you make or how slow you progress, you are still way ahead of everyone who isn’t trying.” So I don’t let mistakes or slow progress stop me. Neither should you. Keep moving towards your goals. Don’t let anything stop you. One day we will all reach our goals. And when I reach mine, I will let you know. 🙂
I hope these 10 simple quotes motivated you to act. If you are tired of who you are and would like to create a new and better you, I recommend the book “Reinventing Yourself: How To Become The Person You’ve Always Wanted To Be.“
I am also a fan of quotes about reading and writing which you can find at www.BoocShare.com, a platform for sharing books with friends and family to save money, but read more books.
Over to you. Which quotes help you to get things done?